What Is The capital of Australia?
What Is The capital of Australia?
Here are you to know the capital of Australia! Don’t be afraid, you have come to the right place. Australia or the Commonwealth of Australia is a sovereign country located on the mainland of the Australian Continent. It is the largest country by area in Oceania and the 6th largest country in the world. Also, it is the flattest, oldest, and driest inhabited continent, with the least fertile soils. Australia is one of the megadiverse countries and its wide size gifted it with a variety of landscapes and climates, with deserts and tropical rainforests. Let’s revert to our main topic which is the capital of Australia.
What Is The Capital Of Australia?
The capital of Australia is Canberra founded by the Federation of the Colonies as the state of government for the new nation.
It is the largest inland city and the 8th largest city in Australia. The capital city of Australia namely Canberra is located at the northern end of the Australian Capital Territory at the northern tip of the Australian Alps.
Canberra is among the planned cities in Australia, and it is ranked among the world’s best cities to live and visit. Its design is influenced by the garden city movement and incorporates significant areas of natural vegetation.
Canberra is popular because it is the carefully crafted capital of Australia country. Also because it is crammed with cultural treasurers, fantastic festivals, including the famous Floriade.
After knowing what’s the capital of Australia, below read the history of Australia capital and find the answers to questions like what was the capital of Australia before Canberra.
When Did Canberra Become The Capital Of Australia?
Canberra became the capital of Australia on 12th March 1913. Now, learn some history about Canberra as,
- Initially, the area known as Canberra was inhabited by Indigenous Australians before the European Settlement.
- Then European Settlement and exploration started in 1820. After settlement, the European population continuously grew throughout the 19th century. In 1829, Captain James Stirling founded Perth as the capital of Western Australia.
- As the European population increased the indigenous population dwindled largely due to introduced diseases such as smallpox and measles.
- After a long dispute in the selection of the capital city for Australia, in 1912, the government invited suggestions from the public as to the name of the future capital.
- Almost 750 names were suggested by the public.
- Finally, on 12th March 1913, Lady Denman, the wife of Governor-General Lord Denman, announced the name of Canberra at the ceremony at Kurrajong Hill.
- And then, Canberra became Australia’s capital. Since 1913 a public holiday was observed in the ACT on the second Monday in March to celebrate the foundation of capital.
Canberra, The Capital Of Australia Facts
Here, some important facts that make you more knowledgeable about Canberra are given
Area & Population
The capital of Australia population is 431,380 as of the year 2020 while its area is 814.2
Climate & Weather
Canberra has an ocean climate, in which the month of January is the warmest month. However, in July the coldest month, the average high temperature to approximately 11 degrees C. Canberra is often affected by Foehn winds, especially in winter, evident by its anomalously warm maxima relative to altitude.
Rugby League is one of the main sports in Canberra in terms of attendance and media coverage.
Economy & Finance
Canberra has the highest income of any Australian city. And, the gross average weekly wage in Canberra is $1827 compared with the national average of $1658. Its main industry is public administration and safety, which accounted for 27.1% of GTP in the year 2018-19.
Places To Visit In Canberra
Here are some places in Canberra that will hold your eyes
- National Gallery of Australia
- Australian War Memorial
- Parliament House
- Lake Burley Griffin
- Questacon-National Science and Technology
- National Zoo and Aquarium
- Australian National Botanical Garden
- National Arboretum Canberra
- Big Splash Waterpark
- Commonwealth Park
- Weston Park
- Black mountain
- Mount Ainslie
- Lake Tuggeranong
- Royal Canberra Golf Club
- Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve, etc.
Is Sydney Capital Of Australia?
No, Sydney was the capital of Australia but now Canberra is the capital of Australia.
What Are The 6 Capitals Of Australia?
6 capitals of Australia are
Why Canberra Is The Capital Of Australia?
Canberra was chosen as Australia capital because it was situated at the middle point between Sydney and Melbourne.
So, you have learnt what is the capital of Australia and now you know the answer is Canberra. It is the Bush capital because of its sweeping nature reserves and surrounding mountain ranges. Above, I have mentioned some important facts about Canberra in order to make you more clear about it. After finishing this article, you will get the benefit that from now on you will never forget the fact that Canberra is the capital of Australia.
Hope We Have Covered All Your Queries Regarding Capital Of Australia
Canberra Is Capital Of Australia
Canberra Is The Capital Of Australia
Canberra Capital Of Australia
Canberra The Capital Of Australia
Capital City Of Australia
Australia’s Capital City
The capital Of Australia Is Canberra City
Country Australia’s Capital
Capital Of Australia Country
What Is The Capital Of Country Australia?
What Is The Name Of The Capital Of Australia?
What Is The Name Of The Capital Of Australia Country?
Canberra Is The Capital Of Which Country?
Australia Country’s Capital
Currency Of Australia
Capital Of Country Australia
Which Is The Capital Of Australia?
Biggest City In Australia
University Of Australia Canberra
Map of Australia
Cities In Australia
Capital Of Australia Sydney
The capital Of Australia Is Canberra
Capital Of Australia